MPH Blog

Posts for tag: Easter Pet Safety

By Heather Beeson of Morena Pet Hospital
March 29, 2013
Category: Pet Safety


Spring has sprung here in San Diego and along with the changing of the clocks our thoughts inevitably turn to Easter celebrations.  Over the years I’m sure a good many of us pet owners have had a few chuckles about the seasonal Cadbury bunny commercials, but we must remind ourselves that this season can turn ‘not-so-funny’ quickly for our pets.  To help make this celebration a little brighter for you and your pets, we have come up with the following pet safety tips to help your furry, feathered, or scaled friends avoid any mishaps or misfortunes.

Thy chocolate is not a delicacy for pets.  Although enjoyed around the world and in mass quantities during holiday seasons, chocolate can cause a significant amount of harm to your pet.  While dogs tend to be most commonly affected largely due to their eating habits, chocolate can indeed be toxic to cats, as well as other pets.  

It is best to keep our furry companions safe by keeping them away from all forms of chocolate. Perhaps your pet may enjoy an Easter basket filled with a new toy or one of the many safe and healthy treats available for pets that are just as tasty and satisfying.       (See Chocolate Toxicity Q&A)

Keep all Easter Lilies away from thy cats.  All members of the Lilium group (Easter Lily, Stargazer Lily, Tiger Lily, Rubrum Lily, and Asian Lily) produce a chemical (present in all parts of the plant) that can damage cat kidneys.  Lilies are so potent that a cat can suffer fatal kidney failure just from biting into a leaf, licking lily pollen from its paws, or drinking water from a vase of lilies! (See Case Study: Lily Toxicity)

Easter plastic grass and foiled candy wrappers are no friends of pets.  These items are non-digestible and if consumed can get caught in the intestines, and potentially cause an internal obstruction.  These hazards may also lead to choking and strangulation.

Resist impulse adoptions.  Before becoming “twitterpated” with the idea of adopting a bunny, chicks, or other pet, please do your homework first.  These cute babies grow up fast and often require specialized care, not to mention the feeding, cleaning, grooming, and medical responsibilities you have for the lifetime of your pet.

Rather than making a decision impulsively (which unfortunately, more times than not in these situations, lead to an unhappy owner and worse, an unwanted pet), your best bet is to thoroughly evaluate your current lifestyle and determine how compatible this particular pet would fit within your life.

Taking these simple precautions will go a long way to ensure your Easter holiday is a joyful occasion to remember for both you and your pets.

As always, if you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous from the picnic table, please contact a veterinarian or the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435.