Posts for tag: Cat Facts
Every year on October 29th we pay an extra special tribute to our feline friends. The National Cat Day organization started this event in 2005 to celebrate cats and to encourage adoption in hopes to save countless feline lives.
Here are some interesting facts you may or may not know about cats:
-On average, cats spend 2/3 of every day sleeping. That means a nine-year-old cat has been awake for only three years of its life!
-Cats can see anything up to 120 feet away.
-The technical term for a cat’s hairball is a “bezoar.”
-A group of cats is called a “clowder.”
-Female cats tend to be right pawed, while male cats are more often left pawed. Interestingly, while 90% of humans are right handed, the remaining 10% of lefties also tend to be male.
-A cat can jump up to five times its own height in a single bound.
-Cats spend nearly one-third of their waking hours cleaning themselves.
-Most cats give birth to a litter of between one and nine kittens. The largest known litter ever produced was 19 kittens, of which 15 survived. (Which is more of a reason to spay and neuter your kitties!)
-The biggest wildcat today is the Siberian Tiger. It can be more than 12 feet (3.6 m) long (about the size of a small car) and weigh up to 700 pounds (317 kg).
-The smallest wildcat today is the Black-footed cat. The females are less than 20 inches (50 cm) long and can weigh as little as 2.5 lbs (1.2 kg).
-A cat usually has about 12 whiskers on each side of its face.
-All cats have claws, and all except the cheetah sheath them when at rest
-Cats have 32 muscles that control the outer ear (humans have only 6). A cat can independently rotate its ears 180 degrees.
-A cat’s nose pad is ridged with a unique pattern, just like the fingerprint of a human.
-Cats don’t have sweat glands over their bodies like humans do. Instead, they sweat only through their paws.
Cats continue to be one the most popular pets here in the US and across the world. If you are looking to add a feline member to your family, please adopt or rescue rather than purchase!
Frith-Macdonald, Candida. 2008. Encyclopedia of Cats. New York, NY: Parragon Books Ltd.
“Cat.” Online Etymology Dictionary. Accessed: July 20, 2010.
Viegas, Jennifer. “Female Cats Are Right-Pawed, Males Are Lefties.” Discovery News. July 23, 2009.